Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Lion

Mike here,

I recently was able to watch the Movie, "Prince Caspian". It was good. I took a few nuggets away from the movie that I believe transfer to our spiritual lives. What really struck me were the scenes that included "Aslan". If you haven't watched these remakes of the CS Lewis books, Aslan plays the character of Christ, in the form of a lion.

First off, the imagery of Christ as a Lion is simply powerful and amazing. My favorite scene (if you haven't watched the movie yet, I don't think this will ruin it for you) is when Lucy is going to find Aslan to seek his help in the pending battle. Lucy is being chased by two of the bad guys when Aslan shows up and eniliates one of them. As Lucy greets Aslan, this massive Lion rolls on his back embracing the young child. And in a matter of 20 seconds within the movie we see both the Power of Christ and His grace.

As we tredge on with life, I want to remind and encourage you that Christ is not only the lamb that was sacrificed for the world to find redemption to the Father but He is also the Lion.

Revelation 5 (New International Version)

The Scroll and the Lamb
1Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?" 3But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."

I'm sure this opens up several other questions but I simply wanted to point out that Christ, the Lion, is victorious.

So often in our culture today those in power, earthly power, show their human weekness. In everything from being corrupt to simply not being impartial or generous. However the power of Christ, the Lion is to cause us to be in awe and respect.

That is the same Lion that is walking with the Kings and Queens of Narnia, just talking about the events of the day and spending time together, later in the movie. What an awesome image, walking with Christ and just spending time together, quality time.

I hope the next time you are at the zoo, or on Safari in Africa that you have the opportunity to hear a Lion roar. Until then, keep you faith and be reminded that Christ will return to set things right.

I'd love to hear from you, the anaologies of seeing Christ as a Lion brings to your mind. I certainly believe authors like CS Lewis can help us grasp the character of Christ in new ways through their creative story telling.

So, please share your thoughts.

Mike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christ rules!