Monday, January 5, 2009

Are we too focussed on "Bad Economic times"?

Mike here....

This is going to be part 1 of a thought rambling around in my head for the past week or so. And at first you might ask what does this have to do with prophecy but just give me a minute to get this thought out and I'll bring it back to the focus of our blog.

I'm truly wondering if believers should be so focused on our current economic situation which is being called everything from a recession to a "bad" economic time.

I'm not trying to be critical of the Christian leaders around me, as I believe they have a pure motivation in leading, yet I'm getting a bit tired of hearing at church about how believers should respond to this current economic situation. Let me explain; as we look through scripture and even our own personal testimonies, when does God show up in the largest and most clear ways? In times of crisis, when the world is collapsing around us.

So, even if we had no suggestion of living through events that could be the fulfillment of prophecy shouldn't those who believe in Jesus Christ be optimistic that God is going to show up in a way that will glorify Him here in 2009?

We also see a direct example of what this should look like for the believer in Philippians.

Philippians 4:10-13 (New American Standard Bible)

God's Provisions
10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last (A)you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.

11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be (B)content in whatever circumstances I am.

12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going (C)hungry, both of having abundance and (D)suffering need.

13I can do all things through Him who (E)strengthens me.

So, if "we" (believers in America at large and our church leadership) were in tune with the possible fulfillment of the prophecies which clearly predict more natural disasters, political crisis, wars, famines, and an even deeper financial crisis than we are experiencing now how would that change our message? Shouldn't it be something along the lines of "Hold on to your Savior tightly because this could be a situation that demands all of the faith we can muster! With our focus being squarely on who Christ is and what he promised would happen before he returned!"

I hope we are not making a mistake by sulking over what is clearly a concerning situation for Americans and most of the developed world. It would be a pitty to miss out on what God is doing in so many places that have been living in political and financial turmoil for decades.

More to come.

Mike


1 comment:

the70thweek said...

Great post Mike. I was especially drawn to your statement:

"Shouldn't it be something along the lines of Hold on to your Savior tightly because this could be a situation that demands all of the faith we can muster!"

There is no arguing that at times we all have doubt, especially when times get tuff. But your post reminds more than ever that when times get hard (whatever they are, end time related or not) this is the time when God will show up in our lives. Sometimes it takes tuff times to realize how much we need him and how much he loves us.

Good post, I look forward to part II.

Curt